Sunday, August 3, 2008

there's a hole in the bucket

If you have ever heard the song about Henry and Liza and their broken bucket, you know it is long and tedious and becomes really annoying after the first couple of verses. This pretty much sums up grief too. When you lose someone you love, regardless of how close you have been to them, emotionally or geographically, there is suddenly a hole in your life. It may be a big hole if you live with them or work with them and see them everyday; it may be a tiny hole if it is a distant relative or friend of a friend, but there is always a hole. The problem with the hole is that despite the amount of faith and hope you have, there is very little you can use to plug the hole. Like the bucket, you can think of things that may help, but inevitably it will come back around to the fact that what you really need to plug the hole left by the person who died is the person himself.

5 comments:

Kayleen said...

Kriste,

I know there is nothing I can say to fix the hole in your bucket. But I do want to tell you that I love you and am sorry to hear about your brother's passing. It is comforting to know that we will see our loved ones on the other side someday! I'm glad your brother inspired you to create this blog. You have a wonderful way of expressing your feelings through the written word. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Love you!!!

char said...

Kriste
I am sorry for your lost. I did not know your brother passed away. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I know Heavenly Father will be with you,I know he loves you. I love you too!Char

Anonymous said...

Mom,

Sadly this is the first comment I've written on your blog... but, is it important that I did? Yes. I still hope that you know I love you way more than that video game I got the other day, and that I know how you feel. It's hard to think of Phil as just gone, and though you're thinking of him, know that I'm here on Earth right now, and Dad is, and Max. All your friends are too. We're here for you Mom.

Love you a lot!
Your daughter

Sandy said...

Dear Kriste,
I don't really know how you are feeling because I have never lost a sibling, but I know that it must be very painful. When I think of losing my sister or brother I can hardly express the lose that I would feel. I want you to know how much I have grown to love and appreciate you. You are a wonderful mother and wife and I am so blessed to have you as a daughter-in-law. Just wish that I could take some of the pain away from you. Remember "to love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." And you are loved . . .
(Your St. George Mom)

Donna said...

I just happened upon your blog and was so touched by Annie's comment. What a great young lady she must be. I don't know if you will see this comment as your post was a few years past. I too lost a brother when we were teenagers. I miss him so much and I can't wait to see him again. I have been writing about loss of all kinds and how there are holes in all of our buckets in some way or another. I am sure you are a more compassionate person because of your trial. Best Wishes..