Tuesday, August 5, 2008

priceless

During the years that I drove my old Volvo wagon, the radio never worked. As a result, whenever I drove my kids somewhere, we passed the time singing or talking. Last year I replaced my old wagon with a shiny new car complete with a radio, cd player, auxiliary plugs for our I pods and laptops. But old habits die hard and while driving Max to Science Camp last week, more often than not we found ourselves with the music off and the conversation on. Since it was an hour away (we spent nearly as much on gas as we did on the camp) we covered all kinds of subjects and one day we made up new lyrics to a song that kept us laughing through several long stop lights. We had a great time, but I didn't realize how valuable it was until this morning during a short 5 minute ride home from swim lessons. Max said, "I wish I was still going to Science Camp this week. The ride was a lot longer."

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Yes! I love it when our kids love being with us - payback for all our hard work! I loved living in Payson and working in Provo. It gave me (at least) 1 hour each day of time that my child was *forced* to sit and be with me, and talk with me, and we both loved it!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the fun of Chibo with no radio. Though I'm sure I've been though talking with no music on in there at least 123 times, it's hard to imagine doing that with dad in the car, right mom? :) Dad needs his music. It's fun with you, mom... you actually would rather talk sometimes than listen. I like it!!!
Love, (annie) funny huh?