Thursday, August 21, 2008

parlez vous french horn

Abby went to her 2nd day of Junior High today and came home with a french horn. I encouraged her to try it based on an NPR piece I heard that made it sound like if you mastered the french horn, you could probably own the world. She is bright and talented and has always shown a strong interest in owning the world, so it seemed like a good fit.

As soon as I got home she pulled it out of the case and by the time we sat down to dinner we had found a series of 23 tutorials on playing the french horn, learned how to control the pitch by the angle of the hand in the bell and Abby was experienced at emptying spit valves. We also knew how to play the notes F, G and A, although the actual playing of said notes requires a subtle variation in the embouchure which may take more than one night to nail down. Even for Abby.

I already suggested to Max that he go find his headphones and Dave quickly left the house to mow the lawn.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

ahhhh... your post took me back to my beginning band class. Everyone tried to convince me to play the flute like my sisters but I insisted on the saxophone. It was a long and tedious goal as I had to learn the clarinet first. My poor family had to endure endless squeaking and squaking each day for hours on end. It got to the point that even I couldn't stand hearing myself practice and almost gave it up but I'm happy to report that I stuck with it and all that practice eventually payed off. Not only did I get my husband's attention - being the only girl who played the tenor sax(we met back in junior high)but I later had the opportunity to travel with both my high school and university jazz ensembles across the country and meet wonderful people. So...Abby don't let anyone tell you that you can't play that french horn. Go ahead and drive your fammily up the wall if needs be. You can master it if your soul desires it. And who knows...maybe you'll grab the attention of your future husband like I did. :)You Go Girl!!!

Anonymous said...

My mom should've put an, "all of the above" option on her poll...