Wednesday, August 6, 2008

i don't know dinner

I like to cook, I really do, but coming up with something for dinner every night is beyond me. On a good night, I think up something on my way home from work and once I've got a plan, making dinner is a snap. But typically I don't think about dinner until my kids have said they are hungry several dozen times and my guilt-siren is blaring. At this point I begin to ask the dreaded question, "What should we have for dinner?" Inevitably the answer is, "I don't know." So, at long last, I have written a recipe for "I don't know." It doesn't taste very good but the instructions are simple:

1. Open the fridge.
2. Stare absent-mindedly at the middle shelf.
3. Close the fridge and open the freezer.
4. Repeat step #2.
5. Close the freezer and open every cupboard and drawer in the kitchen.
6. Close most of the cupboards and drawers and reach for something you can snack on.
7. Eat enough that you are no longer hungry.
8. Pour your kids a bowl of cereal.
9. Vow to prepare a well-balanced meal the next night.

3 comments:

char said...

I remember going to Smiths at 10:00 at night and buying 1 box of every kind of cereal. I had teenagers at home and nobody liked anything I made.(which I don't blame them) The cashier asked what was up. I know you have heard of beer runs.Well I am on a cereal run!!! She thought that I was the best mom! Are you kidding. My kids still bring it up ,remember when mom got mad and bought all that cereal.Oh the joys of motherhood!
Char

Anonymous said...

You are so very right! It's either cereal, or making dad go get Wendy's!
(Wendy's works for me!)

Annie

Elan Morgan said...

You are being featured on Five Star Friday:
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2008/08/five-star-friday-edition-18.html