Friday, March 30, 2012

far too little love

Tonight we went to a drum line competition. If you've never been to one, you should go. It's sort of like watching interpretive dance, except the dancers are lugging around drums. And it's pretty cool that even the kids who don't look exactly right, or dress exactly right, or don't (in some cases) shower regularly can be included. Or so I thought.

After watching five or six other drum lines, some acting like marionettes, others wearing capes, a tiny little drum line took it's place for the final act. There were five of them, including at least one adult and one small child, each dressed as a character from the Wizard of Oz. The two teenagers were siblings, and judging from their similar bear-like body type, I'm pretty sure one of the adults was their mom.

As I watched them set up, my heart broke a little; they looked so small and forlorn. After looking up their tiny little town, and realizing they came from a reservation five hours away, my heart broke a little more.

And then they played. Quietly. Carefully. Stiffly. The arrangement wasn't hard. But it was obvious they had worked on this show. Probably just as hard as the rest of the bands, possibly even more.

But no one seemed to care.

I don't think more than a couple people cheered them on during the show, not even when the bear-like girl, in ruby-red slippers and a Dorothy dress, did a two measure solo on the snares. They had cheered for everyone else who soloed, but not for her. A few people laughed while they put on their show. Most people talked - really loud. So loud, you could hardly hear them play.

And that's when I wanted to cry.

What would it cost us to cheer that band on? To stand up and really cheer them on. What would it give them to hear a crowd roar, in response to their own great efforts? What could we give them to take back to their town, to encourage them all to carry on?

Unfortunately, we gave them nothing. They won no award. Their names were not called. No paper, or plaque went home with that band. Whatever they got, they got from themselves, and I am ashamed. Those kids didn't choose to be born where they are. They didn't choose to be awkwardly large. They have spirits and hearts and hopes just like ours, but so many more limitations.

By the time I got home, I was actually in tears. I'm in tears as I write this now. There is too much selfishness and greed in our hearts, and far too little love. I point my finger at no one alone, except for maybe myself. Because I know how often I put myself first; I know I could give so much more. I could. I can. I must. I must give more.

4 comments:

Stacy Risenmay said...

Beautifully written. I grew up with a mother who loved to cheer for the underdog. We always got the runt when we got a new animal, or the three legged one, or the one that was never going to make it but you can't help but try to nurse it. She was like that with people too. My dad always hired people to work for him that need a little help in life. So this post touched me because I would have been like you. Wanting the crowd to rally around the underdog. You are so wonderful!

shannon taylor said...

for what it's worth, that made me cry too

Anonymous said...

Kriste,

Not to sound like I'm ranting, but it is really a problem that is plaguing our society and especially our youth. No one THANKS anyone anymore and no one SUPPORTS anyone anymore. Something has happened within the constructs of our child-rearing or educational system to turn out individuals that place little to no value on others' work because they are so self-absorbed in their own world and looking for their own accolades. This year, I've been directing a college-age band and I am constantly having to remind these 20-something students to say "Thank you" or to not tease some of the other kids in class with awkward social issues. It is totally ridiculous how selfish some of these people are and it really frightens me to think they'll be attempting to function in society as adults in a few years. Everyone has the right to feel welcome and supported and loved and it is not your responsibility to find it for yourself, it is your responsibility to send it out to others.

-Kaitlin

KB said...

Kaitlin, with teachers like you, maybe there is still hope to instill better values in our egotistical, self-centered society. Thank you for teaching!