Thursday, June 9, 2011

14 funfetti-filled years

From the time Abby was old enough to point at a box, she wanted a funfetti birthday cake. Every single year. Eventually we started to complain. I don't know why. It was only once a year, and it's not like I never baked a cake at any other time. Nevertheless, by the time she was 10, we had teased her into better flavors.

A couple weeks ago, she had a party to celebrate the end of the year. I offered to make some cupcakes but, short on time, told her we would just spice up a mix. We went to the store, to the baking aisle. I was looking for a few other things. When I turned around I saw Abby, her hand on a french vanilla mix, but eying longingly the funfetti box.

I encouraged her to get it; you're only young once. You should have all the funfetti you want!

Note: We added 1 box of vanilla instant pudding and used buttermilk in place of the water. We made our own buttercream frosting from scratch. The "funfetti" cupcakes were really quite good. :)

3 comments:

shannon taylor said...

that's exactly what we do to spice up cake mixes! works like a charm every time.

KB said...

Shannon: I think I may have gotten the idea from one of your facebook posts awhile back. Thanks for the tip! :)

flourgirlathome said...

Kriste, I made a funfetti cake for a going away party. A 9 year old girl in my primary class chose it as the flavor to have. I actually didn't have time to get to the store, so I just added colored jimmies (sprinkles?) to a vanilla recipe. It felt weird, but turned out great. Reverse cake solutions, possibly on the same day!