Monday, March 21, 2011

what could be

Yesterday was the day my dad was born. He's been gone for years now, but I still miss him terribly. He wasn't perfect, my dad, but he embodied possibility. There was no "I can't" in my dad; there was only "let's try" and "we'll see."

A dream could be one or a million steps away from real life, but either way, it was worth a shot. So what if it ended in a pile of failed attempts? We were no worse off for trying and, no doubt, learned something new along the way.

I hope to instill possibility in my kids, the way my dad instilled it in me. I pray they will (sometimes) ignore my warnings of what will be and embrace what could be instead.

2 comments:

flourgirlathome said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about Dad this week. Just didn't have the heart to put things not words.

Stacy Risenmay said...

March marks the anniversary of my dad's death. He wasn't perfect either but I love the legacy he left :) It doesn't matter how many years our dads have been gone, the memories can come flooding back...