Wednesday, March 18, 2009

i think of my dad

Now that the weather is warmer, I have a list of big projects staring me in the face, daring me to put them off another year. And when I think of big projects, I think of my dad. And I really, really wish he was here...

So in honor of his would-be birthday this week, here is a short list of the projects Dave and I remember most, in no particular order...

  • Cooking a turkey in the old wood-burning stove at the cabin one year.
  • Taping the Endeavor's numbers on with duct tape the first year at the Bonneville Speed Show.
  • Water-witching in the back-yard on Barker. Presumably there was a reason for this...
  • Tractor-pulling.
  • Putting a stem on Dave's orange Bug to dress it up for Halloween.
  • Paul's Dodge Do-More.
  • Packing all our belongings on a flatbed truck and hauling them 800 miles home, in an early October snow storm, just to avoid renting a truck.
  • Installing a push-button starter in Dave's bug to by-pass the actual starter (it was quicker than fixing it.)
  • Taking the whole family to the bowling alley on a school bus.
  • Countless last-minute musical numbers at McCombs Family Reunions.
And the list goes on and on...

4 comments:

pablo magnifico said...

:(

Carol said...

I still regret I never went to more tractor pulls. I think I only went to one. What was wrong with me?

Ally said...

Every once in a while I remember a Sunday School class with "the scriptures according to Doug" and it makes me laugh. The fun we had with your dad...that usually revolved around cars!!

western dave said...

"the scriptures according to Doug". I would have loved to hear that. I do remember him wearing Chucks to church once when he had a sore foot. I think he just wanted to wear Chucks to church. I know I do!